03 May 2005

The Poodles

If someone would have told me 10 years ago that I would be a dog lover . . . I would have told them they were crazy! The first 40 years of my life were filled with less than pleasant dog experiences, enough to convince me dogs and I could not occupy the same living space. About a decade ago, a toy poodle named Olivia changed my attitude about canines forever.

The orgins of my dislike for dogs was deep rooted. As a youngster, I was traumatized my the deads of several family pet dogs, notably Old Dog Tray and Sandy. They were my parents' dogs but I felt my Mom and Dad's pain with their loss. After leaving home and setting up house in the the late 1960's, it seemed natural to own dogs. I had a spaniel and a golden retriever. Neither dog was particularly "bright" or affectionate. The spaniel was poisoned by wacko neighbor and the I gave away the retriever before entering the Armed Forces. I thought it ended here.

Returning from home late one night after basic training, I was attacked by a guard dog mut who was returned to the SPCA the very next day. The last dog was Mandy, a beautiful but incredibly stupid springer spaniel. She died early of cancer and with her departure, I was determined never to allow dogs back into my life again.

Call me a closet cat lover . . . in the 1980's and 1990's . . . cats ruled! You don't own cats, they own you. Especially oriental cats like Tonkenese and Oriental Shorthairs. They are vocal, demanding, and unbelievably loyal. Who needs dogs?

Well . . . enter Olivia Lynn, miniature poodle, chestnut red, and a spoiled rotten "rescue". She was eventually joined with her mate, Mr. Spencer (aka old mister white eye, Spenny, Mr. Ben), toy poodle, fearless, chestnut red, and as fast as a rocket.

There's a saying - 2 will get you 3. Olivia and Spenny produced one litter; Tucker, Sophie, and Madison. Tucker and Sophie found homes. Mr. Madison, aka "Maddy" was stricken with a disease called puppy strangles. After several months of treatments and steriods, Maddy recovered and had become "his Dad's dog" for life. He is a fine example of the cliche "man's best friend".

Enter Lady Abagail of East Berlin, standard poodle, with champion and Canadian grand champion blood lines to make it a total of 4 poodles. She is amazing! Not a smart as Olivia, not as loyal as Maddy, almost as fast as Mr. Spencer, but so completely a "lady" and show girl. Everyone should own a standard poodle at least once in a life time.

I would never have believed the poodle breed could turn my attitude toward dogs a complete 180 degrees. Spencer has since found another home in the neighbor (he doesn't play well with other male dogs) and it the source of much joy for two small children. Spenny does an occassional "jail break" and comes around to visit. Abbey, Olivia Lynn, and Maddy all have distinct personalities. What a joy to have dogs like these three!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com