04 January 2006

No matter what happens next . . .

. . . last night's Orange Bowl victory for Penn State ranks among the sweetest I can remember in the 37 years I've followed the Nittany Lions and Joe Paterno! True, we didn't dominate FSU as many of the so-called experts predicted, and it wouldn't surprize me a bit if we actually drop in the final poll ratings - after all, these so-called experts get to determine that with their votes.

Where we end up on January 6th. doesn't really matter to me. Last night, I saw the "torch pass" to another generation of my family (got a phone call from my 2 1/2 year old grandson and he was cheering "We are . . . Penn State) and I was in the company of my immediate family and close friends - all of whom were totally into the game! Everyone who knows me will attest that I'm a die hard fan . . . and it hit me last night that I was hearing and seeing 5 other people getting completely hooked on Penn State fottball . . . as I had gotten hooked on January 1, 1969 when Penn State beat Kansas in a close Orange Bowl contest. It's all about becoming a "true believer" and fan!

The win wasn't pretty! Florida State as many football faithful know, has lost several key games in their history as a result of missed field goals and extra points. "Wide right" - It was tough watching Penn State miss those kick opportunities that would have iced the game several times. In the end, Kevin Kelly managed to hit one and the triple overtime victory went to the Lions. Florida State gave us a contest. It's always sweet when FSU loses a game, even sweeter if we beat them head-to-head! Now Joe is within 5 victories of Bowden for all time games won . . . maybe Joe will get the lead back before he retires, and maybe not . . . but last night his team cut the number down to 5. Oh . . . Joe also has 41 bowl victories to Bowden's 39.

Well . . . JoePa . . . congratulations . . . you got me hooked with your gusty call in the last play against Kansas in 1969 and you never gave up during the past 5 years . . . you brought them back, earned Coach of the Year . . . and hopefully will keep coaching for more years to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com