25 March 2006

It's Grillin' Season

OK . . . enough with the cold temperatures! It's grillin' season and we need some warm weekends folks! As much as I enjoy drilling in any weather condition, it's so much more fun if it can be done in shorts and a tee shirt! Well, under present conditions, no need to worry about the beer getting warm.

Last year, I invested in a moderately priced UniFlame Wellington 5 burner gas grill. Candidly, there wer some problems with it early on. After some tweaks and adjustments to the burner set up, I got her cranking! Like I said, it was a modest investment . . . under $300 and for a few weeks there, I thought I'd made a huge mistake in purchasing it. Several friends and neighbors purchased new "gassers" during the same time frame . . . mostly Webers.

After one full season of grilling with the new Uniflame, I've made 2 observations . . . 1) with the exception of 3 friends who share the same "grill philosophy", all the other folks use their grills as outdoor frying devices as evidenced by all the flames and flare ups during their grilling events, and, 2) with the exception of my aforementioned buddies who also own "moderately priced gas grills", we avoid the nasty flare ups and charred meat results by utilizing "the offset placement and indirect heat method" after initially searing steaks, chops, and burgers. So I'm convinced that if you know what you're doing with an inexpensive grill, you'll not only "look like a pro griller" but turn out a far better BBQ than the guys with the $700+ grills who have no clue how to use them.

Footnote . . . In the tiny circle of "grill buddies" who I like to hang out with, running 2 grills (a gasser and a charcoal smoker) at the same time is a pretty common sight. When talking charcoal grills . . . Webers shine . . . as do many other grills with lesser pedegrees. Nothing like the taste of smoked meat, slow roasted or grilled on a charcoal smoker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com