11 May 2007

Too Cool For Words . . .

I waited nearly 6 decades for this evening! I've always been intrigued by comets, conjunctions, eclipses, etc., I'd never seen any of the planets through a telescope. Last week, using a telescope for the first time, I saw Venus several times. It's been a huge learning curve, trying to figure out how to align my scope and use all the electronic whistles and bells.

Tonight . . . I managed a decent polar alignment, still not a perfect, but close enough to get the electic drive motors to slew the scope over to the planet Saturn. I had no idea what expect and was absolutely thrilled when I brought the ringed-planet into focus! Amazing! I immediately called my family members out to look at it. Like me, it was a first experience for them as well.

My only lament was not having my laptop and camera system available to photograph it . . . but I expect to have a photo before the end of next week. Celestron 6" refractor, cost me some bucks, but money well spent, this is too cool for words!

2 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Dick said...

Sounds like a hellofa good time.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Defiant Dragoon said...

Pretty amazing stuff for sure. This Saturday, early evening there is a conjunction of the moon and Venus just after sunset . . . no scope needed . . . it'll be an interesting event to observe, who knows, you may even get hooked too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com