16 May 2005

First Weekend Camping Trip of the Season

This weekend marked the first, of hopefully many, weekend camping excursions of the season. Destination . . . Drummer Boy Campground, Gettysburg, PA.

Ironically, (I was born and raised in Gettysburg), spending 3 days in a RV at this campground is always enjoyable. I couldn't help but notice that the new section of campground is close to the old powerline that stretches between Route 30 and Route 116 . . . and this brought back memories of deer hunting along the powerline right-of-way back in the 1960's. I don't think I ever ventured this close to the campground area while hunting and probably kept to the York Road side of ridge in those days. I spent many hours on the old Shulteis Farm hunting during my college years and the powerline was one of the favorite spots during seer season.

I have vivid recollections of playing fife and drum music (as a former member of the 11th PVI reenactment group) near the office area of the campground in the early 1970's. Our organization would put on small parades and weekend concerts for the tourists who camped at the Drummer Boy . . . ironically, "now I are one".

The most impressive activity of the weekend was a visit to "Boyd's Bears" about a 10 minute drive from the campground. This was one of those "who would have thunk it" amazing experiences for a hometown person discovering something that's been taken for grant it way too long! I'm not a bear person or collector . . . I've been known to buy these items at Hallmark stores as presents . . . but I gotta tell you, a trip to the "bear barn" is a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. I thought the kids' area on the 3rd floor was particularly interesting . . . toddlers can make their own custom bears, which is a really cool marketing idea and lots of fun for the kids! Very impressive and a "must do experience" for the grandkid(s) . . . yeah, I'll be returning there again soon, for sure! Oh . . . check out the bear photo exhibit too . . . a digital photo of your face is then super-imposed on a likeness of a Boyd's Bear . . . kind of how you'd look as a character bear so to speak . . . it just ain't right, it's a hoot, you gotta try it. The Boyd's Bear Barn gets 2 thumbs up.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com