31 August 2005

BOHICA

Bend over, here it comes again! Americans will again be subjected to inflated prices at the gas pumps and I'm mad as a hornet about the situation!

Every time the folks on Wall Street hear any kind of oil-related report, BAM . . . up go the oil futures and, BAM . . . up go the prices at the pumps. I swear this is true . . . you could publish a report explaining the arrival of the first pubic hair on the son or daugther of some Saudi oil baron and the oil speculators would find a way to turn the report into yet another reason to raise prices! It's obscene!

Over the past 2 weeks, I've watched gas prices rise and fall - a fluctuating up and down and then settling down to $2.48 a gallon for regular until today. Reports of hurricane damage, looting, etc., today seemed to spur the price hike trend back into full gear again! It was $2.48 when I left for work this morning and $2.79 on the way home tonight. Now, I seriously doubt that every gas station sold out completely and all had their storage tanks refilled during the 9 hours I was at work. What really pisses me off is the fact that gas stations jump on the band wagon and hike the prices immediately. If the station had to pay more for a new load of fuel, I understand their passing the price increase on to consumers . . . but we're talking about fuel in their tanks already invoiced and paid for at a lower price . . . and we're getting screwed as a result of greed.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that we really don't have a oil supply problem but rather a refining and distribution problem. 40 different "blends" of fuel to meet EPA/wacko tree hugger environmental mandates helps drive up price, as does the fact that we haven't built any new refineries in years. I was happy to hear President Bush announce the EPA blend regulations have been suspended for the time being. That seems like a step in the right direction. While we rebuild the infrastructure along the Gulf Coast, why not throw in a dozen new refineries or so . . . that couldn't hurt either! Yes, I know this is all a band aid approach, but right now I'll settle for gas prices back under $2.50 a gallon until we find a way to end our dependance on fossil fuels. Until then, BOHICA - $3.00 by next week, wanna bet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com