30 April 2006

It was great . . .

Normally I don't dwell on something like a BBQ meal, but today's pork butt roast was something special. I'd estimate the total smoking time to be about 9 hours with temps in the 200 to 225 degree range. As mentioned in an earlier post, hickory and apple wood were used - I've discovered this to be a very pleasant combination for use in the Pro-Griller. The apple juice and Jim Beam spitzing spray performed well above expectation too.

I'm still consider myself a novice at this whole process of smoke grilling. True, I kind of backed into it a few years ago but didn't really understand there is something of a science to it. The techniques I practiced on much smaller charcoal grills serve me well with the much larger Pro-Griller. The big difference now seems to be smoke penetration into the meat . . . something not previously realized by the use of smaller grills that tend to cook the meat much quicker than the bigger smokers. I think the blend of hickory and apple woods make a huge difference as well, but have no idea why . . . hickory and cherry is a good combo too . . . as is straight cherry . . . but prior to 2006, these woods were always used in conjunction with the smaller grills. For the bigger smoker, for now, the best smoke penetration and flavor is achieved with hickory and apple.

At the 7 hour mark, I pinched off a small chuck of roast . . . it broke away effortlessly and was flavor was excellent. If anything, the bone-in roast got a bit dry near the bone area . . . I'm thinking meat injection next time w/ apple juice and JB . . . but all-in-all, this roast jumped to the top of the "best ever" list, and I surely do this again. Pork pickin' this roast was a real treat . . . while I had plenty of Try Me Tiger Sauce on hand, it seemed inappropriate to taint the smokey taste of the pork . . . tried a few bites with the Tiger Sauce . . . it was good that way too. Successful experiment and delicious results!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com