31 July 2006

99 Bottles of Beer . . . #27

This thread has been on going and open for some time. At last count, Sleeman and A. Keith Ales were #25 and # 26 on the list of beers I've taste tested.

Tonight, in Savage, Maryland - I purchased a six pack of McEwan's Scotch Ale to celebrate the end of a long, hot, but very successful work day. What I like about my work assignments in Maryland and Virginia is the ability to stop by a package store or grocery store on the way to the motel and purchase beer by the six pack. Makes for some great opportunities to try out some new brews. McEwan's is one of them!

A very distinct brew. An unusual tasting brown ale. The head is light with virtually no trace of foam (kind of disappointing) inside the drinking glass. Rich initial favor, kind of fruity, a bit strong, and a raw finish. Definately a "with dinner" brew (this stuff has some kick, even with the first bottle, but that's to be expected with a Scottish Ale - 8% alcohol by volume pushes the limits a bit). On a scale of 1 to 5 . . . it rates a solid 3. Buy it again? I don't think so . . . by the end of bottle number 2 (I'll give most beers 3 chances), I decided this stuff had lost most of it's initial taste appeal. Bottle # 2 took over an hour to finish . . . I detected a hint of raw "cheap whiskey" flavor beginning to develop with each subsequent sip. Bottles 3, 4, 5, and 6 will remain capped. I like a good ale, but this stuff ain't for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com