08 December 2006

Now I understand why . . .

I recently took a position with a company that has a regional HQ in Baltimore, MD. My job takes me to this city every day that I'm not otherwise visiting operation sites along the east coast and Canada. On the average, I'd say 2 to 3 days a week I'm in Baltimore. I've always thought of this city as one of the more charming and interesting cities in this part of the country.

I never understood why folks bash the city when it comes up in conversation. Until today, I never had a bad experience there . . . and from what I can tell from working with dozens of Baltimore "locals" for the past 6 months . . . the people . . . at least the ones I've been exposed to, seem to pretty congenial, honest, and just like most other folks I know. Today I ventured "downtown" for a conference at an Inner Harbor hotel and along the way encountered a gaggle of Baltimorons for the very first time. These fine citizens decided to jay walk in front of my company vehicle at a very busy intersection. I had the light but hestitated to proceed forward as they slowly strolled on a diagonal through the intersection. When the last moron got out of my intended path of travel, I slowly eased forward into the crosswalk area and intersection. The last moron turned back and looked at me. He began a long verbal tirade complete with the "confrontational rap" gestures and facial scowls. I'm pretty sure that by extending caution and courtesy to these guys somehow pissed them off . . . go figure! I don't want to think it was a reverse-racial thing . . . maybe I was just on the wrong street and this type of courtesy isn't common. I have no idea who these ambassadors of goodwill are . . . but wish to publicly thank them for showing me what a Baltimoron is . . . now I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com