18 May 2005

Bittersweet 'Burg

It's always seems a pleasure returning to my hometown of Gettysburg. I'm approaching one of life's milestones . . . the point where I will have lived as many years away from my birthplace as I lived there before relocating. It's not that I moved far away . . . having addresses in places like New Oxford, West York, and East Berlin in recent years, nor is it that I haven't returned to Gettyburg regularly over the years. I suppose we are less affected by changes in the environment where we live day-to day than we are when returning to old, but familiar environments, that have undergone changes in brief periods of our absense . . . maybe, that's it.

To begin with, Gettysburg is a unique. There is much about this place that will never change. The college and battlefield essentially "anchor" the town with respect to boundaries and boro expansion potential. The historical architecture board guarantees a certain decorum will be maintained in the downtown areas. All these are good things if you are a traditionalist.

I'll get to my point . . . so much has changed in the past 25 years, that I find myself having to think about what a structure used to look like or what family used to live in a house before it was converted to a tourist shop, etc. 11 and 13 Steinwehr Ave are two good examples. My Aunt Mary Knox lived at 11 Steinwehr Ave and my Grandparents (Charles and Helen Rosensteel) lived in the adjacent home. Today, they are both T-shirt and tourist traps. My Aunt Margaret (Rosensteel) Swartz lived a few houses away in what is now an ice cream palor. Aside from the fact that nearly every residence on Baltimore Street and Steinwehr Ave have eventually become tourist-oriented storefront properties, this type of commerical opportunism is spreading to the lesser traveled side streets as well. I'm the first person to admit - Gettysburg is a tourist town and the many Gettysburgians make a living as a result of tourism. I'm not condeming it, just observing and lamenting about the expansion of it in the past 25 years. Geez . . . I miss the old charm these houses had when townfolks lived in them! It will be interesting to see what impact the relocation of the Visitor Center will have in the next few years.

A drive through the old alley behind North Stratton Street was particulary bittersweet last weekend. The old mulberry tree is still standing near Coldsmith's Roofers. In a few weeks, the purple stains will be returning to the alley pavement, just like days of old. The old pipe fence and wood gate are gone from Coster Avenue - sure wish the National Park Service would restore them . . . maybe mow Coster Field and abate the weeds! The open fields and much of the "First Woods" are gone now . . . new homes and streets fill in the area between Fourth Street, Stratton, and Barlow. For me, as a kid, this is the area where I spent most of my time. Call it sentimental, but damn it, it was a more charming environment the way it used to be . . . it's just an alley to be sure, and may be an insignificant example to some who read this, but it is so representative of all the changes that have gradually altered the landscape of my hometown.

Like I said before, it's always a pleasure to come back to Gburg . . . perhaps what I really mean is that it is a pleasure to come back and look for all the things that haven't changed . . . yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com