15 August 2005

Hometown homage . . .



Although East Berlin, PA is my adopted "hometown" for the past 10 years, I am grateful to be a member of a community where most folks pay homage and tribute to our Armed Forces personnel. Our little town has a "grocery store heroes" display, more residents display flags than don't, and magnetic yellow ribbons are a common sight on most vehicles in these parts.

Following the loss of 7 PA National Guard Soldiers in Iraq last week, our Governor proclaimed that masted flags should be flown at half staff until 11 SEP 05 in honor of these fallen warriors. I immediately lowered the flag in front yard and later, as I drove around my neighborhood, I noticed that only one other resident had done the same. I printed and distributed flyers to all residents with flag poles in a 4 block radius of my home. We have dozens of folks with flag poles! Today, I did a quick drive through to see how many folks responded to the flyers . . . all but 3 . . . patriotism and respect for our service personnel is alive and well on the eastern frontiers of my little town. To my surprize, the Borough buildings, fire house, local VFW, and post office may need to be added to the memo distribution list for this weekends "Flag Quest, Part 2". Footnote . . . our local grocery store, Nell's Surfine, was the first local business to respond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com