01 April 2006

Righteous Ribs

It took more charcoal and wood chips than I anticipated, and thank goodness I had plenty of both on hand, but the first batch of ribs turned out pretty darn good! The only real challenge of the day were the high winds . . . they definately contributed to knocking down the temperature in the main cooking drum of the grill most of the day. After 3 hours of tending and feeding fuel into the side smoker fire box, it seemed hopless to expect the temperature in the main drum to reach the magic 200 degree mark which is ideal the ideal temperature for smoked ribs.

Eventually, I started a small charcoal fire in the main drum . . . that did the trick . . . 200 to 225 degrees established in no time. Keeping the temperature range steady required lots of tending but it proved to be time well spent.

I used Rendezeous Rib House dry rub and at the 6 hour mark I sprayed a mix of Jim Beam and apple juice on the ribs every 20 minutes or so. Nice carmelization and a beautiful dry crust, just as I remembered from my first visit to the RRH in Memphis.

The ribs were magnificent in taste and texture. OK . . . got that one mastered, next up . . . wet mopped KC style ribs or maybe a butt roast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com