07 January 2007

Follow up on yesterday . . .

First things first . . . these are not photos from yesterday's rib cook off . . . the hungry in-laws made quick work of the 3 racks within minutes after I brought them in from the smoker. Gone!

That's the greatest compliment a back yard grilling enthusiast can get on any single day! I play to a tough "internal audience" when it comes to my wife and my in-laws. Their family has a rich tradition of PA Dutch and "country-style" cooking. This crowd holds family re-unions and does pit-chicken for several hundred attendees at a time. They spend 2 days making apple butter from peeling to stirring in copper kettles over an open fire . . . the point is . . . they are picky eaters, especially when it comes trying my "rookie recepies".

But aaah . . . little victories like yesterday help build one's reputation and further acceptance within their clan . . . the ultimate prize I suppose is to someday have one of my wife's cousins call me and ask about a secret rib mopping sauce or something . . . much like the way they call each other to discuss the secrets of "Uncle Richard's BBQ chicken" or "Aunt so-and-so's beef and cabbage", etc. You get the idea.

Bottom line yesterday . . . the baby back ribs were excellent.

Dirty little secrets . . .

I pre-baked the racks in the oven, foil covered at 200 degrees for about 3 hours before transfer to the smoker. I used McCormick dry slow cooker seasoning as a dry rub for this phase of the operation. (see other post for the mopping sauce).

We had warm temps yesterday but gusty winds. This plays hell with a side fire box smoker. Internal main chamber temperatures are difficult to elevate and maintain. I managed 175 for most of the 4 hour period they were smoking. Twice yesterday I had to clean out the side fire box ash and re-build the fire. I transferred the ribs (foil covered) back to the oven (300 degrees) during the fire re-building periods (maybe 20 minutes each time).

I did one rack off to the side that was fairly heavy with hot sauce and the other 2 were left alone. In-laws allege they don't like hot stuff . . . than was not evidenced at the dinner table last night . . . the hot spiced ribs I cut into 3 rib sections and mixed them in on the serving plate with the half racks . . . Gone!

It took well over a year to "master" baby back ribs, but I think I've got it nailed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com