27 May 2007

Fire up the smoker DD . . .

Let the ritual begin!!! This is weekend when backyard pools "open for the summer" and every driveway seems to be visited by trucks bearing loads of mulch. In our neighborhood, everyone works hard by day, and among our circle of neighborhood buddies, party hard into the night. Last night and tonight, we are in "visiting team" status, tomorrow night we're "home team", hosting the last get together of the weekend.

Let the ritual begin!!! This is the weekend when backyard BBQ grills "get uncovered for the first time in months" and every patio seems ablaze with grilling activities. In our neighborhood, we have only a few extraordinary "grill masters". After a few beers are consumed, it's easy to identify them as conversations turn to new grills, new recipies, grilling techniques, etc. I've noticed over the years that grill masters tend to be very a very patient and conservative lot, more prone to offering helpful advice, than being critics. Believe me, I've had to stand by, biting my tongue more than once, watching in restrained silence, as someone incinerates a perfectly magnificent cut of meat, on a brand new grill being used for the first time.

While I don't consider myself to be a grill master, I'm a lot further along than some of folks who should never turn a gas valve or light up charcoal. At the expense of my inner lower lip, I've mastered the art of restraint, no longer feeling compelled to rush back to my place for a fire extinguisher . . . trust me, I've witnessed my share of patio conflagrations! Conversely, it is a treat to observe "masters" at work . . . you know, the ones (can't say guys because I seen some gals perform grill magic too) who grill meat and vegetables to simultaneous perfection. In these instances, it's best to be a humble "student", asking non-proprietary questions, and to be lavishly complementary, but not patronizing.

Let the ritual begin!!! Tomorrow afternoon and evening - our turn. Nervous? Not one bit. Actually, I'm looking forward to it. I've done my homework. With the exception of the few weekends this winter when my grills were hidden by snow drifts on the patio, I've been honing my BBQ skills on a regular basis. In a few recent "Wilson-like-peering-over-the-fence" conversations, I've gathered some important intel regarding potential guests' likes and dislikes. Armed with this new found knowledge, fromulating a menu plan was easy. As the guest list takes final form, it has become only a matter of adjusting portions and selecting the right mopping sauces for, you guessed it - RIBS!!!!

Let the ritual begin!!! Learning one of my neighbors would like to learn how to prepare and BBQ baby back ribs, I extended an invitation of drop by, observe, and participate in the process. To me, that's what the art of BBQ grilling is about . . . my ribs aren't world class, but they ain't bad either!!! Matter of fact, there's only one other griller in our circle of neighbor friends who has any experience with grilling and smoking ribs - he's on the guest list and I'm hoping to pick up a tip or 2 from him by the time the ribs are ready to serve.

I'm still toying with the idea of doing both dry rub, Memphis-style as well as wet mopped Carolina-style . . . comfortable with the notion of doing both, I may venture forward with both styles. I picked up several packs of pork sirloin steaks to supplement the rib fare. Preparing them is fairly straight forward and appeal to folks who don't favor ribs. The evening, I believe, will be the first BBQ rib bust in the 11 year history of our neighborhood. Gotta make sure the beer is iced down and the rest of the menu is set. Fire up the smoker and, let the ritual begin!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

From The Poodles
From Grillin' & Sm...
From PSU

| View Show | Create Your Own
Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com